How Well Do You Know Your Customers?
When we think about motivating customers to make a purchase, we think about using the right mailing list, creating the right offer, and having a compelling call to action. Whether creating a direct mail piece, a sales letter, or a magazine advertisement, those elements are critical. Nevertheless, the reasons people buy can also be more complex.
Particularly in the B2C environment, emotional factors are often at play. For example, if you are selling exotic vacations, you aren’t just selling a cost-effective hotel with great food and a seafront view:
- You’re selling relaxation.
- Tapping into the desire to escape from the daily grind of meetings, presentations, and child rearing is another sales point
- You are selling the desire to cater them
Tapping into these deep emotional wells can help you sell more. Instead of mailing a postcard with the headline, “Get 25% off plane tickets today!” Try, “Don’t you wish the office were a Thousand Miles Away?” Alternatively, “Isn’t It Time that Someone Pampered YOU?”
Furthermore, think about a parent dreaming of excitement beyond the children’s homework, playing shuttle for soccer practice, and meetings for the PTA. A trip offering whitewater rafting, bungee jumping, and skydiving might tap deep emotional needs for adventure. Another postcard worth trying may have an image of the face of a skydiver, wide-eyed and exhilarated—cheeks flapping in the wind—that says, “You, too, can FLY!”
Whether you are developing direct mailers, sales letters, or magazine ads . . .
- Think about unmet frustrations and deeper emotions that might drive recipients to make a change.
- List the potential motivators. To be recognized at work? Get a promotion? Be challenged? Break out of the mold? Feel empowered, youthful, and sexy?
- Show — don’t tell. Use the power of graphics to tell a story.
Emotions are powerful marketing tools. Emotionally driven purchases tend to be less price-sensitive and more spontaneous. The medium of print has the ability to tap into those emotions and motivate behavior in a way that no other medium can do. Take advantage of it! If you need any help with integrated emotions into your marketing or sales tactics, PrintComm can help! Give us a call today at 810-239-5763.