As marketers, we are surrounded by data. From in-house customer information to third-party data that rounds out customers’ demographic and behavioral profiles, we have more data at our fingertips than ever. According to InvestPro, brands that use data-driven marketing deliver between 5x and 8x return on their marketing spend.
How do you become one of them (if you aren’t already)? You may be personalizing your direct mail and email with people’s names, tailored offers, and even customized images and text, but not getting those kinds of numbers. What’s the secret? Think long-term.
Marketers are often focused on immediate results. Knowing the ROI on that direct mailing is important. However, marketers who get outstanding results create campaigns that are consistently reaching prospects and customers based on their data. They know that keeping and building relationships with customers yields higher profits over time than quick-hit campaigns.
To get the kinds of numbers reported by InvestPro, use your customer data to create a fully personalized experience based on their preferences and behavior.
Say your data shows that a high percentage of your customers are stay at-home or work-from-home parents with school-aged children. To get them to make a purchase, you can send them a personalized offer based on how many children they have and their education level so they are more likely to act.
Some companies will capture this data on their own, but most marketers won’t have this at their disposal. However, this type of data can be appended to your first-party data to achieve this level of key demographic information. Once the data is appended, you have a much clearer picture of your customer and can drive that detailed level of personalization. A data-driven printer such as PrintComm is able to help you acquire this data for your direct mail campaigns.
When analyzing your data, also think about what patterns you are seeing. Here are some things to consider:
- When mailing to prospects, consider adding a personalized map or static map to the nearest store along with localized contact information for the store they shop at.
- Do they need additional items to help them with new challenges that their lifestyle presents? What life events might trigger the need for your products or services.
- Include your customers’ earned rewards or loyalty program status with ideas on how to utilize their points or dollars .
- Send them personalized offers based on their prior purchase behavior
- If appropriate, include contact information and images of their representative or person they usually do business with.
- Include images or messaging based on psychographics or items that the customer already owns
Salesforce has found that 70% of buyers say that a company’s understanding of their personal needs influences their loyalty. So use your data, not to match products to buyers, but to understand your buyers instead. Use what you learn to communicate that you genuinely care about their struggles and that you’re there to help. Once buyers feel that you “get” them, your relationship will move from transactional to engaged—and your ROI will soar.
Our team specializes in analyzing your data and incorporating it into highly effective and personalized direct mail campaigns. Give us a call to find out how we can increase your response rates.